My mom LOVED chile rellenos. She’d get this mischievous grin on her face and her eyes would go wide. Super deliciousness. I remember this recipe very well, but had no idea that it was from one of my mom’s oldest friends, Bev McGihon. Bev blessed us with another of my favorites: Layered Bean Taco Dip. (Seems to me, we didn’t eat at Bev’s enough.)
The great thing about this dish is that it is hearty enough for dinner, eggy enough for breakfast, and cheesy enough for a midnight snack. Get on it, people! It’s Chiles Relleno time!
I wasn’t able to find whole chile relleno peppers in a can. Not quite sure if I didn’t try hard enough or if it was the fact that this recipe was written 30 years ago and 4 oz. cans of whole peppers don’t exist any more. I found 7 oz. cans of chopped chile peppers and kept on movin’. I figured that whole or chopped, the flavor was still going to be there.
Cook up the beef and onions and drain any extra fat. Season with salt and pepper.
Starting with the first layer of peppers, cover chiles with the shredded cheese, then the beef and onion mixture, ending with a final layer of peppers. I realize that the recipe called for two 4 oz cans of peppers, but I liberally used two 7 oz cans of chopped peppers, and it turned out really flavorful. Not too spicy at all.
In a separate bowl, beat 4 eggs, the flour, salt and pepper, milk, and as much hot sauce as you can stand. Whisk until completely blended. I believe I was a bit too impatient and there were tiny bits of flour still floating around, but it didn’t seem to make a difference in the end. Once blended, pour over the layered ground beef in the casserole dish.
Toss in a 350 degree oven for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown. It ends up being like a puffed up, deliciously golden, ground-beefy, pepper-sweetly, spicy, cheesy omelet.
This works well as a dinner or a fantastic addition to a brunch…..or lunch…or pretty much any time.
Chile Relleno Bake
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1/2 c. chopped onion
- 2 small cans of green chiles
- 1 1/2 c. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 c. milk
- 1/4 c. flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- hot pepper sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- Brown 1 lb. of ground beef and 1/2 c. chopped onion.
- Place one 4 oz. can of green chiles, cut in half crosswise and seeded in 10 x 6 x 1 1/2 baking dish; sprinkle 1 1/2 c. shredded sharp cheese; top with meat.
- Arrange another can chiles on top of meat.
- Combine 4 beaten eggs, 1 1/2 c. milk, 1/4 c. flour, 1/2 tsp. salt, several dashes hot pepper sauce and dash of pepper; beat till smooth. Pour over chile mixture.
- Bake 45-50 minutes in a 350 degree oven, until knife inserted just off center comes out clean.
- Let cool 5 minutes.